Not all drone pilots are photographers, and not all photographers are drone pilots!
One of the most difficult things about hiring a drone operator in Cumbria & Lancashire is knowing what you are going to get for your money , or if the drone operator you are hiring is going to be able to handle the job that you are placing!
At the present time, the UAV market is very young and is generally separated into 2 camps.
Camp No.1 Is full of photographers and videographers. They love cameras, they love to use the UAV as a creative tool, producing all kinds of beautiful images by carefully manipulating the complex cameras that can be mounted on even the most basic of UAVs. Ask them to carry out an aerial survey with Pix4D or similar and they turn white with fear.
Camp No.2 is full of drone pilots who see UAV as a game changer in a million different industries. Ask them to carry out an aerial survey or a roof inspection and they cant load up the mini van quick enough. But ask them to produce some stunning and creative aerial content and they will put the camera in auto mode and hope for the best!
Whilst these two camps are the stereotypical illustration of the marketplace at the moment, in my experience, they are not far from the truth! So how do you find the right camp? The answer is to look for both.
Check out your potential partner’s website.
• Does it look up to date and well designed?
• Does the content look good, or is it shaky and fuzzy?
• Does the website talk more about surveys and inspection, or more about photography and video?
• Are they using up to date professional equipment or using obsolete drones like the Inspire 1?
Once you have narrowed the field down, call your potential partners and ask them about the services they offer.
• Are they knowledgeable, are they passionate?
• Have they previous experience of your project?
• Do they sound like your kind of people?
• Are they charging the correct price? (if it’s cheap then ask questions)
And of course, the most important thing to ask is for a copy of their CAA permissions and insurance details before you go any further. Plus check their photographic qualifications.
Hovershotz hold a diploma in photography & videography and have been building & flying remote control aircraft for over 20 years. We have a wealth of aerial filming in the Lake District for filmmakers. In addition to aerial filming and drone photography, we are very experienced in aerial drone surveys.